:::::::::::::: Overview :: Positions :: F.A.Q :: Apply ::::::::::::::
Frequently Asked Questions
What is American Forum and what do you do?
American Forum is a rapidly-expanding
nonprofit, progressive media organization that functions as a clearinghouse for
editorial opinion. Organized through individual Forums in 18 participating
states which function as editorial boards, American Forum provides
professionally prepared and easily-used materials to print and broadcast media
seeking commentary from a state point of view. By tapping into the latent power
of the media, the Forum gives prominent and authoritative proponents of
progressive measures an audience in their own communities and greater access to
modern means of communication, helping to educate the public and policy makers,
and build support for progressive social change.
What is the environment/culture at American Forum?
- Moderate to Fast Paced
- Mixed team/individual work
- Research/Policy Oriented AND Outreach/Advocacy Oriented
- Professional but relaxed and friendly atmosphere
What is the most attractive part of American
- Creative and advanced development of new ideas
- Overseeing own projects and working independently as well as part of a team
- Developing an understanding of politics and various policy issues facing society
- Gaining detailed knowledge and insight about: how the media operates, project coordination and execution, nonprofit philanthropy, online trends and strategies
- Interacting with a wide variety of activists, experts
and professionals of the various issue as well as journalist
- Membership and access to a variety of National Press
What characteristics or skills are we looking for in our
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and manage time
- Good organizational skills
- Attention to Detail
What are work hours?
American Forum full-time interns work Mon-Fri from
9:30 AM until 5:30PM. We do work around schedules as needed.
extended hours expected?
your responsibility to complete all assignments in a timely manner. American
Forum does not require any intern to stay extra hours. We have had interns and
volunteers who have done so as needed to help the staff but this is a personal
How up-to-date is the technology?
American Forum is ahead of the curve in terms of
technology. Creative and technology specialist are equipped with the latest
software and hardware to ensure the Forum continues to give state groups a voice
in the media.
Do you have reference and resource guide in the office?
We do have reports, manuals and
reference books in the office. Additionally, as an American Forum intern, you
will also have access to the National Press Club library, which will prove to be
How involved will I be with the daily workings of the
Our interns are an integral part
of our organization. We value the skills and knowledge our interns bring to our
program. Thus unlike some internship placements, clerical work is not high on
our list. We are looking for focused individuals who can enhance the Forum with
his or her skills while learning from a 20 year-old media organization.
Who will be my supervisor?
supervisor will be determined by your project interest as outlined in the
available internship positions.
Do I have a set list of duties during my internship?
Yes. Your duties are outline in the internship description
and your supervisor will further outline your tasks. We also are looking for
those who work as a team player and can take the initiative on various projects.
The Forum works hard to accommodate any overlapping interests.